Next Tour: Saturday, August 15th
Sign up now at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tour of Southern Vermont will be led by Club member Bob Rubin
Tour Details: The August GMR PCA club event is a tour of southern Vermont, put together and led by Bob Rubin. The driving tour will start and end at the Gray Ghost Inn in West Dover, VT. The approximately 120 mile drive covers much of the southern area of the state, and will take about 3 – 4 hours total driving time, which will include 3 stops for rest rooms, stretches, and coffee. The final route map will be available at the drivers’ meeting but in the meantime you can download an overview of the route.
Members planning to attend the drive should be at the start location by 8:30am. The drivers’ meeting will be held at 8:45am, and the drive will start promptly at 9:00am. When the drive concludes upon return to Dover, VT, members are welcome to tour the towns of Wilmington, Dover, West Dover, and Whitingham. This area is home to the Mount Snow Ski Area, and has an abundance of restaurants available for lunches and / or dinners after the drive.
IMPORTANT: We would like to have an accurate count of members and guests joining the tour. If you are joining the tour please drop us an email at email@example.com. Also, as a favor for Bob please indicate if you plan to be in Dover on Friday.
Local Information: While not a PCA sanctioned component of the tour, members planning to attend the drive from northern areas of the state, the Grey Ghost Inn is offering rooms to members for Friday night, August 14th. Room rates are very reasonable and include breakfast. Contact the Gray Ghost Inn directly to make a room reservation; call 802-464-2474 for reservations, or visit their website https://www.grayghostinn.com Please note, staying at the inn Friday evening is an “on your own” event, and not part of the club driving tour. We appreciate Bob’s work to coordinate a place for members to stay if driving down in the morning would be too prohibitive given the distance.
For those members staying at the Inn on Friday night, Bob is arranging light snacks, refreshments, and may also be providing some musical entertainment. The Inn does not serve alcohol, so members can bring their own drinks if desired. Bob will pick up some beer, wine, and soda for refreshments. Members staying at the Inn Friday evening should pay Bob $5.00 per person to help defray those costs.
**What to do before you arrive at a tour event**
- Be sure your PCA membership is current as the Tour is limited to PCA members only. If you are not yet a member and would like to join (or to verify your status) please click here.
- Before you arrive for a tour event please download and sign the following forms. These documents need to be provided to the Tour leader on the day of the event.
- The PCA Communicable Disease Waiver must be signed by drivers AND all passengers. This new form is required by PCA and need be signed/submitted once as it remains in effect until May 26, 2020. If you submitted the form at a prior 2020 event there is no need to do so again.
- The PCA Liability Release must be signed by event drivers and passengers for each event.
- Blank forms will be available at the event drivers meeting.
At the event we ask that all participants practice safe Covid-19 avoidance measures.
- Maintain social distancing (6′ minimum)
- Bring and use your face masks
- The PCA encourages event participants to stay home if you are at higher risk for severe illness, sick, or experiencing COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
Green Mountain Region Survey
As you may recall, in early 2020, the GMR-PCA Board conducted a member survey to find out more about member interests, support for club activities, and reasons for becoming affiliated with the GMR-PCA. The Board had anticipated sharing and discussing the survey results with the membership at the May member meeting. As you know, the pandemic compelled the Board to cancel that meeting and several other events so there hasn’t been an opportunity to review the survey results.
So, we’re now providing a link to the survey results that you can review at your leisure. The Board plans to discuss the results with the membership at the Fall member meeting (October 10th at the Killington Resort), which remains on the schedule of events at this time.
Recap: July 11th
Kudos to Duffy Miller for organizing and leading a great ride on the byways of Vermont while maintaining the requisite Covid-19 precautions.
We had a rainy start in Montpelier but the weather improved as we headed south towards Windsor. From Montpelier we traveled up to Middlesex where we headed south on Route 100B through Moretown. The merry band of Porsches continued south on Route 100 through Mad River, Iraville, Warren with a brief stop on the Rochester Green. From Rochester the Tour traveled on the Bethel Mountain Road over the Rochester Gap down to Route 12 South in Bethel. From there we picked up North Road that brought us past Silver Lake State Park into Barnard where we, once again, picked up Route 12 South. The path on Route 12 ran parallel to the Gulf Stream (no, not the Atlantic Gulf Stream) onwards into Woodstock where we took a short circuit around the Green. The final leg of the tour continued on Route 106 through the Kendron Valley past the Green Mountain Horse Association and finally onto Route 44 through Brownsville concluding at the Windsor Station in Windsor.
Detailed route information
- September 19 – Early planning is for a tour in the greater Burlington area. Stay tuned for upcoming details.
- October 10 – Fall Foliage Tour & Membership Meeting. For our Fall Membership meeting we will be returning to Killington, VT. The route is still under development.
- December 5 – Holiday dinner and party will most likely take place at the Hotel Vermont in Burlington.
Other events that may be of interest to GMR PCA club members. Please be advised that these events are not sponsored by Green Mountain Region nor the Porsche Club of America .
- October 2-4 – Chester VT “Wheels in the Field” event that will feature classic Porsches across from the town Green at the Historic Academy Building grounds, and watch the exciting Scottish Trials on BMW GS Motorcycles. For information – click here.
Thanks to the efforts by our Membership Chair, Brad Kennison, Green Mountain Region will have a more visible presence at our as well as other non-GMR events.
Porsche Related Diversions from Covid-19
- Take a Virtual Tour of the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart
- The Porsche Newsroom Newsletter
- Porsche Club of America
- PCA Sim Racing Series
- Endurance: The Documentary about Porsche at the Two Toughest GT Races in the World
Be sure to check out the “Ask Jason” column for maintenance tips and suggestions
Would you like to have a Green Mountain Name Badge for GMR Events?
If so, name tags can be ordered by emailing a request to our Treasurer, Christina McCaffrey at Christina.McCaffrey@uvmhealth.org. The cost is $15 per badge. Be sure to spell your name(s) correctly! All members and spouses/ significant others are encouraged to use the name badges on tours and other club events.
Green Mountain Region Board Meetings. Are you interested in “attending” our Board meetings? The Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6.30pm EDT via video conference. If you would like to join us please let Carl Wulfestieg (firstname.lastname@example.org) know and he will provide you with the log-in protocols using the Zoom Video Conferencing application.