Covered Bridges Tour – 14 July 2019
An incredible turnout of over 40 Porsches of every stripe and color gathered at the Suicide Six Ski Area for a ride through Central Vermont with a sampling of some of Vermont’s most famous covered bridges. A big thank you to Dave Kynor and Duffy Miller for taking the lead on this pre-Treffen dry run. The ride will be remembered as memorable with the unexpected insertion of three “unofficial tour” Porsches who led some of our group members on a few unexpected turns and roads. Nonetheless, we all managed to find our way to the Public House for lunch!
Be sure to check out “Ask Jason” in Tech Talk
- When I step on the pedal from a dead stop in low gear, my ’99 Boxster is not taking off like it used to. The last time I changed plugs was seven or eight years ago at 90,000 miles, now I have 122,000. Should I change plugs?
- How often should I get a wheel alignment?
- I am getting some oil drip on the garage floor under my 1971 911E. Is that a problem, what should I do?
Green Mountain Region member, Rob Wadsworth, had the pleasure of attending the recent 2019 Luftgekühlt in Los Angeles. He was good enough to share some of his photos, click here to check them out.
The President’s Column, by Carl Wulfestieg
Call for Volunteers for Treffen in Woodstock, Early September 2019
As many of you have learned already, the Woodstock Inn was selected as the site of the September 4-7 Treffen Vermont. It is anticipated that there will be upwards of 130 cars and perhaps 250 participants for this event.
PCA Treffen events are limited access events, which are placed at 4 and 5 Star hotels throughout the country. These events are placed in regions different from Porsche Parade, and alternated between east, west and center of the country.
Treffen national selected the location and I have commitments from Zone 1 that Green Mountain Region will have support from neighboring regions. I expect that many volunteers will be needed from GMR. A number of volunteers will be needed to help with this event, and I am listing the positions which need to be filled:
- Registration Team (RT): The RT will be responsible for assisting in the packing of the Treffen participants’ Goodie Bags on Tuesday (all day) and Wednesday morning and early afternoon. On Wednesday afternoon, the RT will assist the Treffen Registrar and PCA staff in registering the Treffen participants from 3 – 7 pm. Approximately four people are required for the RT. The RT will work with the Treffen Registrar to accomplish this task.
- Information Desk Staff (IDS): The IDS will staff an information desk, usually located near the lobby of the host hotel from 12 noon – 7 pm on Wednesday and then from 7 am – 4 pm on Wednesday through Saturday. The information desk is staffed with two people at all times that it is open. The IDS will prepare a binder of material containing local information on nearby restaurants, car repair facilities, emergency services, etc. They will also maintain a listing of all participants’ names, Regions, tours scheduled, NDO activities, etc. (provided by the Treffen Registrar). The Treffen Chair will provide the Region with a list of materials that should be available at the information desk, but it is the responsibility of the host Region to collect and compile this locally-specific information.
- Tour Departure Assistants (TDAs): TDAs will assist in directing arriving participants at the tour departure area to get in their correct lane for their scheduled tour. Approximately 5 – 8 TDAs may be required depending on the number of guided tours actually scheduled for Thursday and Friday. After the final tour for the day leaves, the TDAs will collect signage, cones and other items used at the site. Signage will be used for future Treffens.
- Tourmeister and Tour Drive Teams (TDTs): The Treffen Tourmeister is a member of the local Region who has the overall responsibility for the development of all guided and self-guided tours. The TDT will consist of a lead car with driver and navigator, a mid car and a sweep car. The mids and sweeps need not have a navigator or second occupant. It is expected that there will be 6 tours which will be led on Thursday and repeated on Friday. There might also be a guided or self-guided tour with moderate off-road driving provided for participants who attend with their Cayenne or Macan vehicles.
- Car wash station: A car wash station should be identified at the host hotel and car wash supplies maintained by the host Region.
It is my opinion that many of the jobs can be filled by multiple persons, and it should be possible to break up the jobs into multiple shorter shifts.
I would hope that many Green Mountain members would agree to volunteer, so that we might share in providing a great event. Also, Green Mountain members will be eligible to register for Treffen Vermont.
It is my expectation that Green Mountain Region members leading tours would be spared the added expense of the individual tour, as TDTs will have their lunches provided by Treffen.
Please respond by email to email@example.com or 253-279-2345 Please inform me what positions that you can help with, and how many hours or days you would be available. Thank you all for volunteering to help with Treffen Vermont.
Carl Wulfestieg President, Green Mountain Region
Green Mountain Region Board Meetings. Are you interested in “attending” our Board meetings? The Board meets on the 3rd Wednesday of each month at 6.30pm EDT via video conference. If you would like to join us please let Carl Wulfestieg (firstname.lastname@example.org) know and he will provide you with the log-in protocols using the Zoom Video Conferencing application.
Would you like to have a Green Mountain Name Badge?
If so, name tags can be ordered by emailing a request to our Treasurer, Christina McCaffrey at Christina.McCaffrey@uvmhealth.org. The cost is $15 per badge. Be sure to spell your name(s) correctly! All members and spouses/ significant others are encouraged to use the name badges on tours and other club events.
Welcome New Club Members
The Green Mountain Region membership continues to grow, 177 members and counting. Please extend a welcome to the following new members who have joined since our last update.
- Robert Rubin, West Dover, Red 2005 Boxster S
- Christopher Cain, Colchester, Silver 1997 911 Carrera Cabriolet
- Corey Duteau, South Burlington, White Metallic 2019 911 Carrera S
If you are a new member and we have not welcomed you in a GMT PCA Newsletter please email Sandy Gilmour at email@example.com. It is also a good idea to ensure that your membership status and data are correct by checking on PCA.org/members